Gingrich thanks campaign supporters in new video

NEW YORK (AP) – Newt Gingrich is thanking supporters a day before he officially suspends his bid for the Republican presidential nomination.  Gingrich released a video message on his website Tuesday saying he would bring the campaign to a close on Wednesday. The former House speaker said he would continue working to defeat President Barack Obama, whose re-election he says would be a “genuine disaster” for the country. Gingrich doesn’t mention Mitt Romney, the all-but-certain GOP presidential nominee. After finishing poorly in five Northeastern primaries last week, Gingrich indicated that he would leave the race. He won only two contests, in South Carolina and Georgia, which he represented in Congress for 20 years. His campaign also has reported more than $4 million in debt.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: